How much of a risk is salmonella to backyard flocks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmer Mike S, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Farmer Mike S

Farmer Mike S Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Glen Mills, PA
    I don't have salmonella nor do I suspect it in my chickens, but I'm wondering how much of a risk backyard flocks are that are treated under the right conditions. It seems more common on commercial egg farms

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I think we tend to hear about the commercial outbreaks because they effect so many people, and like it or not it is "news".
    According to the CDC between 1991 and 2012 there were 45 salmonella outbreaks linked to live poultry. Interestingly enough the most was 8 which was last year, which is probably why it has been in the news so much.
    http://www.cdc.gov/media/dpk/2013/dpk-live-poultry-salmonella.html

The 2010 CDC report estimated that one in 20,000 eggs is internally contaminated. A healthy-looking hen might be infected with Salmonella, and may lay an occasional SE-contaminated egg while the rest are safe for human consumption. This is true for both factory-farm and backyard chickens. However, the probable risk of infection is extremely small. According to the American Egg Board’s Egg Safety reference, an average consumer might encounter a contaminated egg once every 84 years.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by