How much poison gets transfered to eggs?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChooksinChoppers, Jun 14, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. ChooksinChoppers

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    If this true we can all use it in our campagnes to get ordinance changes

3. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I read that it was in the chicken feed that you buy at the feed store. So some people are giving it to their own chickens already.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    No, it was in a drug that the meat industry was using to treat for cocci. It is something that we as hobby breeders don't have available to us.

And, to answer the original question, "How much 'poison' are you feeding them?" [​IMG]

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    First of all, if a feed additive was poisonous it would kill the chickens or any other critters you are tryng to treat. As for antibiotics and hormones, there are none in the feed you buy. Read the label. As for hormones, all living things have hormones. Feed is made from living things. Therefore there are hormones in feed. No artificially added hormones though.

6. ChooksinChoppers

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    In the above link the artical says they found arsenic in chicken meat....obviously commercial growers. What I am asking is...would the arsenic get transfered to the eggs?
    After years of sweeping the issue under the rug and hoping no one would notice, the FDA has now finally admitted that chicken meat sold in the USA contains arsenic, a cancer-causing toxic chemical that’s fatal in high doses. But the real story is where this arsenic comes from: It’s added to the chicken feed on purpose!

Even worse, the FDA says its own research shows that the arsenic added to the chicken feed ends up in the chicken meat where it is consumed by humans. So for the last sixty years, American consumers who eat conventional chicken have been swallowing arsenic, a known cancer-causing chemical. (http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loc…)​

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Quote:Read the label on the feed you buy. If there are additives, it will say so. If you have questions call the feed company.

8. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It was commerical meat birds, they generally do not get old enough to lay eggs.

9. ChooksinChoppers

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    pips&peeps :

It was commerical meat birds, they generally do not get old enough to lay eggs.

Oh ok..so they don't feed that to commercial laying hens?​

10. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Probably not, the meat bird business is a nasty one. The birds just eat and crap. The conditions are probably much worse than we realize, even though the conditions the egg layers are kept in is deplorable.

That would be something that we should look into though, because I am not 100% sure of it. But, I don't have to worry about it since I don't eat store bought eggs.

There is arsenic though everywhere in our environment. Alot of the wood we use is treated with it to prevent it from rotting....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by