how much poo equals pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmergal, Aug 21, 2008.

1. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I just got thirty adorable fuzzy butts this morning (RIR, Araucana, and White Leghorns) -- they're happy and eating and drinking and cheeping, and I've tried to check them for pasty butt, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Do they have pasty butt if any poo is stuck to their vents? I found a bit of poo on some of them but it's such a small amount, I'm wondering if it will just pass...
    Does anybody have any pictures of what constitutes pasty butt? I've heard that yogurt and a bit of vinegar in the water can help with this problem... should I go ahead and give them some yogurt and vinegar?

thanks much from a worried mama hen,
    --Lynda
    http://farming101.wordpress.com

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it's more than the size of one poo, just take it off with a wet tissue or something. A real bad of pasty butt is when there is a marble sized glob stuck on the rear. But it's always good to take any off as you see it as poo tends to stick to poo and build up.

3. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    it can just be a tiny bit of poo blocking the rest of the poo as well- any poo that keeps the rest from being able to being released normally

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by