How much poo is too much poo?

consdrs

Songster
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver, WA
So I got my chickens in April. and from about June through the end of November I have been composting the poo in one garden bed. nothing in it but shavings and poo. I turned it all the time. now since it has been cold and frozen I have just been tossing the poo on the other 3 raised beds. one is 4x12 and the other 2 are 4x6. I just have a bunch of poo spread around on top of those and am gona till it in in the spring. here is the question:

1. how long does it have to sit before planting I have not added anything to one of the beds since November.
2. at the rate of poo generation I should have about 80% poop in the other 3 beds in no time.
wink.png
at what point should I stop adding poo and how much is too much?
3. when I stop adding poo to my raised beds what do I do with it then?? I have 9 pullets and they poop A LOT!

My dogs are more than happy to take care of as much as possible.... ew

we start planting stuff in late April-may.

Connie
Vancouver WA

I think you should stop now if I understand correctly, 80% is way to high, I just lay in a light layer of maybe 1/2" over the entire bed, I keep watering it in to help dilute it, then till it in. The next application 6 months later I do the same thing, then I add my organic matter deep till then plant. I have found that if you add just a little at a time you will not kill anything, and it is much easier to tell if you have overdone it. Sometime during the season I may side dress the plants that may require more Nitro. but even if it does not burn/kill your young plants, if they grow tall and spindly with alot of leaf growth with very little blooms, you still have too much.

AL

Don't be too generous with fresh chicken dung, it is too 'hot'. It is made up of lots of nitrogen and it is best composted in a pile for a year. Keep in mind some veggies won't like or need much poop compost such as tomatoes, they like certain minerals over lots of raw organic matter. Excess Nitrogen makes lots of leaves and few tomatoes.

Last edited:
Hmmm I suppose the beds I am gonna plant this spring should get a reprieve from further poop addings.... one of the beds is my tomato bed! one of the reasons I got chickens is for fertilizer. I guess you can get too much of a good thing. I think I will send the "excess" to my dads house... but at the rate my 9 pullets poop I may need a dump truck to take it to him! thing is we kinda have a tomato competition... I'm wanting to keep my winning streak;)

Connie

Quote:
Put some on the grass it will keep it green and looking good all summer and fall. One thing I like to do in the garden when only certain plants require more, is I make a chicken poop tea. just put a few shovel fulls in a burlap sack and soak it in water for a week or so. water as normal with the tea, does wonders.

AL

Back
Top Bottom