How much protein for chicks? SunFresh Flock Raiser vs. Start & Grow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4myHennyPenny, Jun 7, 2007.

1. 4myHennyPenny

4myHennyPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    I was planning on using Purina's SunFresh Recipe Start & Grow (unmedicated) for my chicks from the time I receive them to point of lay. But then I was reading other posts that talked about the need for more protein. One possible idea was to supplement with treats like egg yolks.

I was just on Purina's site again, though, and noticed another product: Flock Raiser SunFresh Recipe. They say it's virutally the same recipe as their Start & Grow and can be used from hatch to point of lay as well, BUT the protein content is 20% instead of the 18% found in the Start & Grow version. They say that this is ideal for "faster growing" chicks like broilers and meat birds, and can also be used for waterfowl and turkeys (after 8 wks) because of the higher protein content.

So if higher protein is what all chicks should have, should I plan on purchasing the Flock Raiser instead (as long as it's unmedicated, which I want)? Or is the Start & Grow probably fine as I'm just planning on keeping pet birds that will provide eggs (no frying in their future)?

Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!! Also, if you have other ideas on ways to supplement protein with treats, and whether you need to add grit with your treats, that would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Sorry you are still waiting for an answer! Here is some info I copied from a hatchery website:

Start all baby chicks on a 20% Chick Starter (Medicated). Carry them through 8 weeks of age on this for all chicks other than Cornish-Rock broilers. (See details for starting broilers under Cornish Rock Chick Care). At 8-9 weeks switch your egg-type, bantams, rare and unusual breed chicks to an 18% grower ration. At 16 weeks of age, commence feeding them a 16% Complete Layer ration. We suggest that no grain be fed on the side during any period of the chick's life.

You say you don't want medicated feed. I read that unless you have them vaccinated from the hatchery you should use medicated.
    As far as grit goes, I add it like salt to their chick starter food. I never see on the ingredient list that it is in there, so I add some. I get mine at Walmart. It comes in a box for parakeets, from the pet dept.
    Hope that helps some.

3. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I've been using Start & Grow since I got my chickens and they're growing like weeds. [​IMG] It has some grit in it.
    They didn't get treats until they were outside in the dirt and grass and picked up what grit they need from there.

I do give them mashed hard boiled egg, watermelon and of course they get grass and what bugs they can catch.

I don't know a great deal but hope this helps.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    You could certainly use flockraiser for your chicks, but most don't because it costs a little more. Also, where we live the flockraiser crumble only comes in medicated. So if you do not want to use medicated feed, flockraiser may not even be an option. I would check on that.

Jody

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    I think the higher protein is better for the chicks. Since the feed companies don't use animal protein in their feeds anymore, the plant protein just doesn't seem to do the job as well.

I start my birds on 30% turkey starter, then at 8 weeks switch to 50/50 turkey starter & Start & Grow until point of lay. They then go on 20% layer pellets.

This may not work for you, but my birds have been in a lot better shape since I started doing this.

6. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    I have a question. My chicks are not the white rock broilers, but they are dual purpose birds which we are going to use mainly for meat. How long should we feed them the start and grow? The females mature between 15 and 20 weeks, and the males mature around 15 weeks.
    Thanks!![​IMG]

Trish

7. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    I can't help ya, but have a question on this subject. I just started my chicks on the Start and Grown about 2 weeks ago, not really knowing the difference between what I was originally feeding and the new stuff (my usual stuff was out of stock). Since then, their poo (of the nasty cecal variety) has been out of hand. Does that have something to do with the lack of protein by any chance? Without getting completely gross, when I first became a vegetarian and wasn't getting enough protein myself, I had a few digestive issues until I worked everything out. Maybe they're still getting used to the switch, but if needed, I can definitely suppliment some protein with HBed eggs.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but the poo situation has been worrying me and this is something I can fix!

8. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Mamaboyd,
    If you are going to butcher your birds at 20 weeks, just keep them on the Start & Grow. Or you can switch to a meat bird grower. If you are going to keep some a while for layers, switch those to a layer feed (for the calcium) at 18-20 weeks.

Jsto,
    I don't know what to tell you about the poo. It could be the switch. Also, when the weather gets warmer, the birds drink more and their droppings are looser. Another thing to think about is coccidiosis if you see any blood in the stools, the birds are lethargic or have a dramatic weight loss.

9. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Thanks Carla, you really helped alot!![​IMG]

Yes, I would really like to keep some of the hens for eggs, so I will see what my hubby says(he just wants meat:/) Seeing as I'm the main person who is taking care of the chickens, I think I should be able to get what I want!![​IMG]

Trish

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Well, that's what I think, too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by