How much protein in food is good?

MandalaMaMa

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
southern Oregon coast
I just changed over from starter food to all in one food. My pullets are 20 wks and 17 wks. They Haven't stared laying yet. What I'm wondering is the all in one okay for when they start laying or do I need to change to layer food. The all in one has 18% protein, the starter had 20% protein and the layer has 16%. Which is the best for long term once they start laying?

No you don't need to change to layer You can either stay on the all in one or go to layer. If you stay with the all in one you should give them a calcium supplement for their egg shell. How much protein depends on what else they are getting, once they are mature. The 16 percent in the layer is what a hen needs to maintain her body and lay up to her potential. If you are giving the extras like scratch or other treats that will lower the amount of protein they take in so a higher percent protein in the feed is needed to maintain the right level of protein.

No you don't need to change to layer  You can either stay on  the all in one or go to layer. If you stay with the all in one you should give them a calcium supplement for their egg shell.  How much protein depends on what else they are getting, once they are mature.  The 16 percent in the layer is what a hen needs to maintain her body and lay up to her potential.  If you are giving the extras like scratch or other treats that will lower the amount of protein they take in so a higher percent protein in the feed is needed to maintain the right level of protein.
Thanks - that makes since now.

Back
Top Bottom