1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much pumpkin is too much pumpkin?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stone_family3, Dec 19, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I had one Lg pumpkin that was getting mushy so I smashed it and let the 3 girls I have go to town, I still have about six pumpkins Med to Lg sized that I will be getting rid of soon. Could I toss them in the run or should I just put them in the compost pile?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    With only three to eat them there is no way they will eat them all before some go bad. If they can get to the compost pile, they could eat at them until they go bad. Maybe store a couple in a cool place for later. I still had one stored in the barn for them in the beginning of February

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I don't think they would eat so much that they would get sick - I think they are pretty good at regulating themselves. I agree with Den in Penn - try and store the others for use later. Good luck to you and happy holidays!

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone.

5. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    When I had pumpkins I scooped out the guts a put them in the freezer! every once in a while I defrost some and give it to my 5 girls.[​IMG] that way they can have some all year long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by