How much Purina Flock Raiser do you feed per goose, per day?

OPA Acres

Chirping
Jun 1, 2021
We currently have 15 geese, 6 turkeys, and 30ish chickens (chicken math, ya know?). We go through an insane amount of feed and I'm looking to do better with rationing feed to help reduce costs, but I definitely don't want anyone starving.

I'm curious - how much Purina Flock Raiser do you feed per goose, per day - on average?

We have:

3x Chinese Geese
8x Sebastopol Geese
2x African Geese
2x Embden Geese

It’s hard to say, some individuals eat more than others, and they eat more some days compared to others, especially in winter when they need more.

Though on average I would say that around a cup of flock raiser a day per goose is what mine eat, I do have two extra large birds who eat probably a cup and a half to 2 cups every day

We currently have 15 geese, 6 turkeys, and 30ish chickens (chicken math, ya know?). We go through an insane amount of feed and I'm looking to do better with rationing feed to help reduce costs, but I definitely don't want anyone starving.

I'm curious - how much Purina Flock Raiser do you feed per goose, per day - on average?

We have:

3x Chinese Geese
8x Sebastopol Geese
2x African Geese
2x Embden Geese
200 grams per day ( 7 ounces) per goose minimum.

I feed significantly less but they do not only eat an all flock. My gaggle is 15 as well. They free range all day even in the snow. When there is no grass (now) they spend time cleaning up the hay around the hay trailer. In the evening I split about 3# of feed (so only fed once a day) or 3.5 oz each. They also have unlimited hay, grass/alfalfa and 2-3 heads of romaine or a few pumpkins a week as a treat. They probably go through 20# of hay a week in the winter. They won't touch it in the growing season.

I have mine on free choice of pellets and whole wheat. Each chooses what they need and which they want. Grass hay is always available. I have found with mine that they dont overeat. I also short ferment wheat (2-3 days) for them as a morning meal and raise fodder to cut costs. Most of the time the fodder is left behind after they pick through it but then just give that to the runners in the evening and its gone. By soaking the grain 2 to 3 days covered you trick it into germination and the germ then releases all its goodness and becomes more digestible so more beneficial . Wheat is also a great source of Niacin and antioxidants especially during germination.
I copied this from a post about wheat berry's for people.
One serving (1/4 cup dry) of wheat berries provides about six grams of protein and six grams of fiber. Wheat berries also provide a good source (10% of the recommended daily value) of protein, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, thiamin, and niacin and an excellent source (20% of the recommended daily value) of, selenium and 50% of the daily requirement of manganese.

When there is no grass (now) they spend time cleaning up the hay around the hay trailer. In the evening I split about 3# of feed (so only fed once a day) or 3.5 oz each. They also have unlimited hay, grass/alfalfa and 2-3 heads of romaine or a few pumpkins a week as a treat.
Thank you! Our geese do not have any access to grass during this time of year. We do offer free choice chopped timothy hay. How many hours before bed do you offer their evening feed? Our geese get locked into secure cabins every night at dusk due to heavy predator pressure that is primarily nocturnal.
I have mine on free choice of pellets and whole wheat
That is the exact opposite of what I want to do. We currently go through nearly 50lbs of flock raiser per day. We have sparrows that treat our food troughs like bird feeders and free choice would only increase my current feed bill (~$600 per month) and encourage the freeloading sparrows.

I use the feed to bait them back into their pen at night.
Not all hay is created equal. How much of the chopped hay do they eat? Often processed hay (cubes, pellets or chopped) is made from mature or damaged hay that doesn't have the eye appeal to be sold in bale form. Mine can also be picky hay eaters. Sometimes they won't touch grass and at other times they can't get enough. Buy a regular small square next time you are at the feed store (will also be cheaper than bagged hay).

we actually cut about 35 acres of large round bale hay... but I have read that the long grass hay can cause issues with crop impaction... so, I've been spending extra on the cut timothy hay.
It's very hit or miss on hay consumption... some days I come out in the evening and they ate everything I gave - sometimes it sits around for a day or three.

Back
Top Bottom