How much research did you do, before buying chicks?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dirtyhip, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Dirtyhip

Dirtyhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    I researched for a year on what my responsibilities would be for these babies. I was just curious on how long it took everyone else to do their research.

Also, what birds do you have and why did you choose those types? I have 4 babies: 2 Americaunas, 2 Rhodes. I chose these types for egg production, and different personalities. I hope they mesh. I heard that you can have a mixed flock, if you maintain your space requirements.

4 babies in the brooder
    Big girl coop - 32 sq ft
    Chicken run - just shy of 200 sq ft.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I joined BYC back in November of 2007 I think it was. I got my first chicks, all one breed, in April of 2008. Now I have many more chickens of various breeds in two coops. Was just thinking it was time for a third coop. [​IMG]

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I have spent weeks researching which people sell what, costs, distance etc. I first found BYC, for example, in 2008. I joined in 2010.... [​IMG]

4. Dirtyhip

Dirtyhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    I posted on BYC first, before I bought anything. I checked with you people about he space requirements. This seemed like a reliable site for info.

5. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I think it was 6 months to a year...ish

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:You lurker you. [​IMG]

7. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    None [​IMG] The feed store's special on chicks expired the day after we got the chicks when we first went to get them. My grandma knew how to care for them so, phew! We were all set [​IMG]

8. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:You lurker you. [​IMG]

Speak for yourself [​IMG]
    I'm just OCD about this kind of thing... [​IMG]

9. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The only research I did was looking at the pictures above all the bins of baby chicks at the feed store to see which birds looked coolest.

I quickly learned there's a lot more to it than that and I think I joined BYC within 2 or 3 days of bringing the chicks home.

Also it's good you built a decent sized coop because nearly everyone increases their flock size after their initial run of birds. I had 12 and ordered 15 more, I was hooked. with a 32 square foot coop and 200 square foot run you could probably keep around 10 birds before they got too cramped.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  10. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I read the whole storeyrs guide to raising chickens before we got any chicks. but I blew through the book in a week so it was a bout a week between deciding to get them and actually getting them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by