how much room do muscovies need?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fancie, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I am looking at raising a pair of muscovies but was wondering how big of a pen are they (a pair and thier babies) going to need? Will they need to be pinionated?

Will hatching their eggs be easier than a mandrain (cause I have had no luck with them)?

any other info helpful! thanks

Fancie

2. should have 5 to 6 feet of floor space per bird. We always kept our muskovies wings clipped .
    Ours hatched out babies and took real good care of them .
    Hope that helps some.

Fay

3. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    We have ours in a covered run, and their coop. The run is 12x8 one one side and the coop is 8x4.The other side has a run 12x8 and the coop is 4x6. We open the middle of the run so they can go on both sides. We have 2 trios in that size, and have held at least a dozen at a time,but they are let out all day to free range and were only held there at night, or if we were not home. I have the runs split for when we have babies, so I can keep the broody separate!
    If you do not clip their wings Muscovys will fly, but stay close. Mine have never flow more than a football field away from their pen!
    We don't clip, and that is why we have the covered run, so when we don't want them to wonder they are kept in the run!
    They get farther on foot, than they do flying! LOL!
    Brenda
    They will hatch their own eggs, they are very good at it! I had a clutch of 23 eggs last spring and my hen hatched out 22. It was so amazing!
    I never expected that many to hatch.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by