1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much room does a hen and 6 chicks need ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbreak, Nov 26, 2011.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I have a hen and 6 chicks that are 4 weeks old. The run they are in is about 3ft x 7ft. Small pet carrier is there nest. They are growing so fast, but I don't want to move them in with big chickens. How long can they stay in this run ? Do i need to be thinking of doing something else for them. Will posts some pics tomorrow.

2. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    What breed are the chicks? You could probably take Mama away and save some room. Your pen sounds fine for 4 week old chicks, minus Mama. They will need an other 3-4 weeks before intoducing to the flock...but 3' x 7' is plenty bbig for them for a few more weeks.

3. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    They seem to still need the momma. They still sleep with her for warmth. I am not sure if they are feathered out enought yet. It is just now starting to get cold nights. I will post some pictures tomorrow. I want to build a small coop off the ground and make it about 4'x4' with a couple of nest and add a run the size of our other chickens. Put it side by side. That way this summer when I have a broody hen i can put her in there and raise chicks. Is that a crazy idea? Then what i am using now i can use as a brooder if I hatch out eggs without hen. I think I have found me a new hobby !!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sounds like a plan to me. And 4 weeks is too young to be without mom. Shoot for 6-7 weeks. Your pen should hold them fine for that long.......Pop

5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I haven't had a broody yet with chicks, but it seems it would be better to keep them with momma as long as possible. She will be their heat and protector. I would move them as a group in two weeks time when they are bigger and have more feathers.

6. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I guess I would start now in letting them free-range together for short bits of time with the big girls. This lets mamma hen begin protecting her brood with relative safety, and teaching the little ones to mind their manners around the adults. Then when they are bigger, maybe 5 - 6 weeks, put them all in together. Mamma should still protect them, and they have to learn where they stand in the pecking order (at the bottom!) Put some hidey places in the run, so they can get away from bossy hens. But don't take them away from their mamma - she is their protection!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by