How much room for a trio of OEGB?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by happyhens, Feb 25, 2008.

1. happyhens

happyhens Songster

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Would a 4' x 4' x 3' pen be big enough for a trio of OEGBs? It would be a temporary breeding pen, they would be in there for a couple of months probably, just until I get a few purebred chicks hatched from them. They would also be out in a run ever so often, to stretch their wings a little.
    P.S. I could keep the rooster out most of the time, and he could run with the other chickens in the main coop. If he was in there for a few days every couple of days, wouldn't that be enough for the hens to lay fertilized eggs?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

As a temp place for them to breed, that should work out fine. They are small birds and there would just be three of them. My breeder pen is 4x8 and I put in a trio of silkies in it and could easily have put in a few more hens for the roos. Just keep an eye out for boredom in the birds if they are accustomed to free ranging.

3. happyhens

happyhens Songster

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Thank you! This is going to work out wonderfully, then. I can't wait to get my birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: