1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much room for my little ones

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mudpuddle, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Mudpuddle

Mudpuddle Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    Gretna, Ne
    My Coop
    I will soon be getting 4 dozen chicks, how much room do I need to prepare in a brooder... I know thats a lot of chicks for BYC, but any info will help... How big is you brooder with how many chicks.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

They are the size of a softball at age 5 to 6 weeks depending on the breed. They are extremely active by 5 weeks and in my opinion need 1 1/2 square feet per bird. At juvenile stage 13 to 25 weeks they will require 2 1/2 square feet per bird at the most in the coop in the brooder I have found that you may have a large brooder but the more dominant birds will jump up to the top bar and crowd in to be together especially chick-mates in the oddest places. In the brooder box I have heard in a 12" to 15 " egg box 3 will sit and others will wait for a favorite box for hours to lay an egg. 50 birds I would for sure prepare to brood them outside and keep the 85 degrees the first week, 80 degrees the second week and 5 degrees less each week until fully feathered at 7 weeks then the heat goes off for the remainder of their lives with little exceptions. 50 birds will at 4 weeks have a lot of poop, a lot of dust and plan on a lot of activity which include perches every where large rock to stand on and branches to perch on and activities including a large covered run. Best of luck to you in your en devour.

[​IMG]

3. Mudpuddle

Mudpuddle Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    Gretna, Ne
    My Coop
    ^_^ thank you, that was very informative

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by