How much room for turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by adubsroit, Sep 7, 2010.

1. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    My boyfriend and I just purchased 6 Beltsville Small White turkey eggs (from Jerry Pool's flock) and this is our first time with this sort of bird. My one pressing questions is how much room should I allow per bird in their run? They will be with some chickens (standard and bantam), a few ducks and some guineas. So far all of our birds have more than enough room, especially since the guineas discovered the birch trees and roof of the coop.

I have searched this forum and Google to no avail of any straight answer as to how much room a turkey should get: I estimated about 10 to 15 square feet per bird. I figured that with size in mind, this is about as much room as would be given to a medium sized goose (Beltsville white females are about 13 lbs and males 23 lbs).

Input? All suggestions and help is greatly appreciated and welcomed! I'm way excited for the birds and want to insure I can provide as much as they need.

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Storey's Guide recommends 5 sq ft per tom and 3 sq ft per hen for confinement rearing. I don't think your pen sounds exactly like confinement rearing. If you can give them 15 sq ft, I think they will do fine.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I am raising 3 toms and 2 hens (1 tom will be dinner soon) and their pen is 6 ft by 35 ft. It is plenty of room for them to run and be happy. I have learned the hard way time and time again bigger truly is better. [​IMG]

4. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I like bigger too. Mine are in a fence but there's lots of room. About 1200 sq ft per bird. Lots of grass and trees. No bare dirt. Lots of foraging by the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by