How much room is needed for 5 chickens and 1 rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Memphis Chicks, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Memphis Chicks

Memphis Chicks New Egg

Jan 13, 2013
    WE have 5 chickens and 1 rooster. I'm sure the coop is large enough but I don't think we have enough room for them to run around outside the coop. We got these as babies (along with the mom) in the spring. Ended up with 3 roosters and 4 hen. Found a home for 1 of the roosters in the summer but just recently found a home for one of the others. The poor hens have bare places on their back from the roosters. I was hoping after getting rid of all but one things would get better but they aren't. Their places are not healing up at all. I'm ordering the hen saddles hopefully today. And the rooster is getting mean toward my husband and me. Trying to flog us when get around them. In the summer we did let them out in the yard more but it gets dark before we get home most days can't do that much at all now. I'm thinking part of the problem is they don't have enough room to run around. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

well, you need at leas\st 10 square feet outside, but I prefer more, I would go with a 70 square feet run,or larger. hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by