How Much Room

Henchickkk15

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2016
Hello!
So I am trying to figure out if I could add one more chicken into my coop without crowding the chickens. So our coop is 6' 1" long, and 4' 1" wide. And the henhouse is 3' 7" long and also 4' 1" wide. Does each chicken NEED 4 sqft in the henhouse? I know that people say like 10 sqft per bird in the run... But our hens have always been happy and healthy in what they have. We let them out almost every day if we are home, and they free range in our yard. But I was also thinking about adding a perminent fence going out from the run to add a bit more room that they could also have every day, all day. I hope this makes sense? Sorry its so long!
Thanks guys!

If you chickens are full sized I think they would be pretty crowded. Do you let them out to free-range any? I hate the idea of chickens stuck in a few room to mill around. A happy bird needs room to scratch the ground, chase after bugs, or just finding a long expanse of grass. A small coop is doable if they have some leg room during the day.

Yep! We let the free range basically every day. Right now we don't have any, but we are getting chicks this Thursday. And I was wanting to add a Silkie to the flock, but I have a feeling she would be picked on if they were over crowded. Thats why I wanted to add some extra run room. We'll see what happens. Some people have told me I should only have 3 chickens, some people have told me I could do 5. I have heard so many different opinions.
tongue.png

Thanks again!

Hello!
So I am trying to figure out if I could add one more chicken into my coop without crowding the chickens. So our coop is 6' 1" long, and 4' 1" wide. And the henhouse is 3' 7" long and also 4' 1" wide. Does each chicken NEED 4 sqft in the henhouse? I know that people say like 10 sqft per bird in the run... But our hens have always been happy and healthy in what they have. We let them out almost every day if we are home, and they free range in our yard. But I was also thinking about adding a perminent fence going out from the run to add a bit more room that they could also have every day, all day. I hope this makes sense? Sorry its so long!
Thanks guys!
Hi,
You can get by w/ 3 sq. ft. in the coop. Esp. if the nestbox is attached to the outside of your coop. And 8 sq. ft. per bird in the run. Basically, right now you are set up for 3-4 large fowl in coop and run.
I build my runs with wired modular panels which are carriage bolted together. I add a horizontal crossbar 1/2 way up the panel and triangle corner braces on each corner. Very easy to make and move into place. I make mine 5 ft. wide and 6 ft. high so I can walk in the run. Plus the 5 ft. length makes chicken math easy if I want o extend it later. Makes for a super strong run. I roof mine with crossbars covering roof section with wire , using a tarp to cover, held down with those cord bungees with the red ball on the end. The extra "give" the elastic bungee gives the tarp keeps it from ripping, even in a windstorm. This all makes for a super strong run. After numerous wind and snowstorms in the last several years, it finally took an 80 ft. pine tree to smash the run ( missed the coop).
The unroofed 24' x 36' x 6'tall dog run is made the same way. Several years ago a 70 ft. pine tree fell kitty-corner across it and thru the gate. Just stood the downed corner section up again and braced it, it was fine. Built a new gate and viola! In service again! I will admit the dog run is fenced with 2x4 welded wire which was more resilient than the chicken wire the poultry yard was fenced with.
Where are you at? Do your chickens need the coop for protection in the winter?
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Okay. Yes, I guess my biggest question is do they need much space in the coop area? The nesting boxes are attached on the back. Because I feel like if it is a bit crowded at night, but then they have tons of room throughout the daytime, it wouldn't be a big deal.. But it might be? I live in MN... So yes, protection in the winter is needed
hmm.png
. But this year I may try to lay straw in the run so it will be less cold on their feet. Our old hens wouldn't even get out of the coop and come down the run to eat because it was so cold. I am also thinking about adding one more dowel into the coop to make another roost, and one also in the run.

If they have roosting area it really makes a huge difference. Most chickens love a roost even if its just a couple of feet off the ground. They can always hop up on the roost for a little bit to get a little time to themselves. They like to run to their roost if they feel threatened too. Mine use to go to their roost when a hawk would fly overhead.

That's what I have heard! And that is why, this time I am going to add a roost in the run. In case they get in a little bit of a squabble, it also adds somewhere for them to go, if they cant be let out just then.

Back
Top Bottom