How Much Room

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by killions123, Sep 18, 2009.

1. killions123

killions123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Ashland OH
    I will have a total of 23 birds my coop is 64 sq ft and my run is 1800 sq ft. Is my coop sq ft going to be a problem. I live in Northern Ohio and it can get really cold here.

Thanks,

2. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Minimum recommended coop size is 4 sq ft per bird. At 64 sq ft, your maximum number of chickens should be 16. Minimum recommended run size is 10 sq ft per chicken, at 1800 sq ft you'll have plenty of room out there! Can you do an add-on to your coop?

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    4' is recommended but if they are outside most of the time and only in at night it can work for you.Just don't confine them into that space for any long period.Ventilation and clean dry conditions are even more important in tight spaces. I know when ours have the "space" they still cuddle together
    Also you didn't state which breeds you have..I'm assuming heavy breeds.Light breeds only need 3'

4. killions123

killions123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Ashland OH
    5 EE, 5 Leghorns (3 brown 2 white) 2 Delaware, 2 New Hampshire, 2 Black Star, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 RIR, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Silver laced Wyandotte, 1 Wellsummer, 1 Jersey Giant, 1 Cross Rooster. I just built my coop this yea was not planning on having this amount. I use the deep litter method and clean the excess poop I can see up every night in a bucket. I also have an exhaust fan in there for them for ventilation. I try to make it look clean every day so I can show it off every chance.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    oops I didn't read your signature I would have seen that [​IMG] the leghorns are light breeds so that lessens it...you should be ok.My hens have 2 coops in their pasture and they all want to sleep together in one even though they are side by side so it's not a location thing it's friendship [​IMG] We just keep it real clean and dry.
    Oh you didn't think you would have that many..guess no one told you they are addicting [​IMG] trust me the coops and pastures will never be completed [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think you should be alright as long as they are outside and only use the coop to roost and you have enough roost space. I had 20 birds in a coop that size but right now I have 15 birds in it. I have 25 pullets in a second coop of the same size. Now we are building a 3rd coop for our 40 birds. The pullets coop will be converted for pheasants.

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

You need to get rid of lots of chickens. You don't have room for them, especially in Ohio during winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by