How much sand for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sreihart, Jun 4, 2010.

1. sreihart

sreihart Chillin' With My Peeps

Last night my 16 day old chicks were making a whole lot of noise a lots of activity. I figured out that the heat lamp had drawn bugs from the window and they were having a field day eating the little bugs. At this point they have not had any grit so I gave them some sand today. They tore into it like having a feeding frenzy so I took it out after a few minutes because I was afraid they would eat too much and become impacted or something. Could someone please tell me if I should or should not let the sand in the brooder with them? I'm being a bit of an over-protective mommy at the moment. [​IMG]

Thanks! I LOVE BYC!!![​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    They should be fine---I bet they'll regulate their intake without much supervision, but if you are worried you could scramble up a few eggs and toss a pinch or two of sand in there.

Mmmmm....sandy eggs. [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I usually only have four chicks in the brooder, but what I use is a small, heavy, glass ashtray with about a tablespoon of construction sand in it on the days I give them treats for which they will need grit. That keeps them from scarfing down "too much" sand. (Actually, it's not grit that impacts a crop, usually.... it's stuff that NEEDS grit that clogs up the works. "Too much" grit usually passes.)

But it makes me feel better about managing the greedy little feathered piggies.

4. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    My chicks are 11 days old now and I waited until they were 7 before giving them their first treat...but I usually just use their food in my hand. I gave them scrambled eggs and the first time they all refused it. The next day I gave them some very finely chopped 1/2 a strawberry, a tiny little bit of green curly leaf lettuce with the egg...all they ate was the strawberry and egg...hardly touched the lettuce. I gave them about a tablespoon of grit just in case they needed it...they ate it like it was the best treat ever. I have 13 chicks. I give them a little treat everyday and am going to put a little container of grit in today for them to eat as they think they need it. They are doing great...so far, that is. They are now flying around with their ever expanding feathering wings...and like to land on my hand. I am so loving this Chick Momma-ing. I also love this forum...great info and commeraderie!!! BYC ROCKS!!! (pardon the pun) LOL

5. sreihart

sreihart Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks for that information! I have SO much to learn. I read about all these chicks and chickens dying from so many maladies that I just know I'll do something stupid and kill them. So, I'll give the sand back to them and maybe give them some scrambled eggs. I tried the eggs about a week ago and they weren't particularly fond of them. The do, however, LOVE plain yogurt! I put it on my finger and let them peck it off. They are so much fun and I don't understand why those non-chicken folk don't understand. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by