1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much Sevin Dust to apply to Hen vs. Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bragabit, Sep 7, 2010.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Okay when I apply the Sevin dust. Do I apply it all over. Do I attempt to work it down do the skin? Any areas besides the beak and eyes that I should avoid? Should the bird be coated and white? Thanks [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can put sevin dust in an old pillow case, enough to do all your chickens. Put the chicken in the pillow case with its head sticking out the top. Gently shake and bake. Remove the chicken from the pillow case and put a little dust on your fingers and rub it in on its neck,top of head...avoid the eyes and nostrils. Then release the chicken, repeat in 14 days. Edited; you can put some dust on your fingers and gently rub it in on your chicks, again avoiding the eyes and nostrils.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. bragabit

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Quote:Oh my, "shake and bake".

We will shake and bake the chicks and hens and return and report.

4. bragabit

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Crap I dusted the chicks, placed them in the brooder. Put a screen on the brooder and opened the doors and windows in the garage. Now they are all sneezing and acting tired [​IMG] I hope they will be okay.

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    What are you treating for? Chicks rarely need to be dusted for anything but I think they will be o.k. but it may depend on how much you applied and in what manner and how old they are. I saw you had an emergency thread on the chicks issue as well. I liked the person's advice that said to blow dry each chick to get the excess off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by