How much should I ask for modern game chicks?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by chickenlady, May 29, 2008.

1. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I have silver blue, birchen, and brown red chicks ranging from 1 week old to 4 weeks old. I have someone interested in buying them, what is a fair price for these? None of the breeding stock came from hatchery, they were all from different breeders around the US, some of them SQ, taking BB and BV and different shows.

2. Holiday Angel

Holiday Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Sweet Home, Oregon
    Where are you at?

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I usually charge $5 for my small chicks until they get their feathers. Then I charge anywhere from $7-$10 for the females and I keep it at $5 for the roosters. If I can make pairs, I charge anywhere from $10-$25 depending on the quality of the pair and where I am selling.

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I am in NJ.

Thanks Lauren. So $5 bucks is fair? Sounds so high to me for just a little itty bitty. LOL. But it does start to cost alot when you hatch them out and raise them for a couple weeks with a heat lamp on them 24/7 and then the feed and the time.
    Did you get you moderns from a hatchery or breeder? I was thinking about getting some black ones, they are just so pretty.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I did get them from Ideal, but it seemed to be the only place to get them. Some look pretty nice, but others just look like pet quality ones. Where in NJ are you?

I ended up getting blacks, splashes, two blues, a white or red pyle, and some blacks (though I guess they could turn out to be birchen. They are solid black now though). Let me know if you have any others available! If you are close enough, I would definitely consider, especially since yours are not from a hatchery. I've been wanting to get into moderns for awhile! They are tough to find here though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by