How much should I be charging for eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FingerLakesChick, May 21, 2008.

1. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    With the rising price of eggs in stores; I was wondering what I should be charging for my "far superior" quality eggs. I have been charging $3/dozen.

And can you believe a customer's husband did a [​IMG] at me when I told him the price is $3 please; NOT $2 (that he tried to give me)!!

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I had 2 last year but am gooing to raise to 2 50 this year.

3. FingerLakesChick

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    Our local grocery store is currently charging $2.46/dozen. And we all know how those compare to our own eggs.

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Wow you guys get ripped off at a grocery store. The egg market is only arroudn the 1's lol that 1 more doller the grocery store gets. Than I would also check for organic too. I stay between organic and cage bird eggs.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  5. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    I'm getting $3.50 a doz and the local health food store sells the for $4.99

The health food store buys them from the locals and pays them $2.25.

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I was at $2/dz. I just went up to $3/dz.

7. FingerLakesChick

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    The local grocery store does gouge us a little bit, it's either buy from them or drive 20 miles to a larger chain store. But I did do some research on the web and the average price the consumer pays for a dozen eggs is right now at $2.16.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  8. Colored Egg Farmer

My susgestion is just stay between your closest store egg prices and organic prices. If i ever go over the organic is no busness for me. If there is no organic in you area... You can charge as much as you want. Also calculate you feed costs and amout of eggs per day.

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I sell my better than organic [​IMG] eggs for $3.50 a dozen - 50 cents more if I have to supply the carton.

10. amysflock

amysflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Tenino, WA
    I just took my first egg orders yesterday and given the overwhelming response from my co-workers, I'm thinking I should have said $2.50 or $3 per dozen instead of $2!

As it is, I'm now backlogged until at least the 6th of June with folks on my "list." Like my boss said, I may need to order more chickens so I can feed everyone! Yikes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by