How much should I be feeding 2 bantams?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Laver2k, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Laver2k

Laver2k In the Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Hi all,
    I have 2 bantams that have about 4m squares of space to roam and dig around on.

I keep a bowl of layers pellets inside their coop and throw about 2 handfuls of corn around their run every morning and also when I get home from work. I'll also throw in some bits of leftovers 2-3 times a week.

I have almost run out of my first big sack of corn whilst only having gotten through about 6 cups of pellets...! I average about one egg a day between them and the shells are firm and healthy looking.

Should I be cutting back on the other stuff to make sure they eat more pellets or should I just continue as I am, as long as they are healthy and laying eggs?

Thanks!

2. jaxxx

jaxxx In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    They need pellets for egg laying. I only give my chicks a handful of corn in the late afternoon and only once a day. They also have greens regularly. A sack of corn lasts me 3/4 times as long as a sack of pellets. I think 2 handfuls a day for 2 small bantams is far too much and will only make them fat and less productive. Hope that helps.

3. Laver2k

Laver2k In the Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Woah! I had better put a stop to this quickly then.

How can I encourage them to eat their pellets, is it ok to scatter some on the floor or will that attract rats?

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Songster

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    They know the pellets are in the feeder they have eaten some already. When you cut back on the corn and the forage in the run isn't so good, they will eat the pellets. I wouldn't throw it around if you are worried about rodents.

5. jaxxx

jaxxx In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Agree with Den in Pen if you don't give treats till later in the day they will eat their pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by