1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much should I charge for processed Muscovy ducks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by remadl700, Nov 5, 2010.

1. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    I posted this in the FR question on processing amount but I did not get a response.

Looking for some suggestions on this.

I have 3 people who want some ducks processed and the retail store price per bird is $35.[​IMG]

I wasn't going to charge near that but I don't want to short change myself either.

2. duckfat

duckfat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Michigan
    Who is doing the processing and for how much? How much is your feed cost? Are they organic, pasture raised, free range, caged in a coop and run, etc.?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  3. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    I am doing the proccessing - made a Whizbang plucker

Feed has been $30 but that has gone to 25 ducks, 30+ chickens.

Organic, free ranged ducks. We make the feed ourselves from wheat, corn, flax seed and mineral mixture.

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    What is your cost per duck from purchase/hatch to slaughter? Cost of duckling + feed + whatever else it takes to get you there. Give you a hint, the price should be more than your costs.

5. barrybro

barrybro Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    SW Michigan
    I am guessing that he is looking for what other people are successfully charging other people for ducks. Has anyone successfully raised and sold ducks. If so what are you selling them for?

Barry

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I am in the Organic Wholesale meat business, we buy Drakes for about 3.80 lb Females for about 4.35. A retailer will sell the same for about 6.99 lb

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I get $3.00 / pound for duck but I may be a bit low..... averages out to be about $15.00 / duck.

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    If you can make a profit by underselling the commercially produced birds by $5, why not.

9. duckfat

duckfat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Michigan
    I get $2 per pound for pekins and muscovies. Estimated cost per duckling is about $1 to $1.50 as we hatch our own. A typical male muscovy will dress out at 8.5 pounds, and that includes neck, gizzard, heart and liver. A female muscovy will dress out at 5 pounds, and that includes same. Non-organic grower mash is $18 per hundred. The ducks free range on a large pond. A six pound Maple Leaf Farms pekin duck from Wal*Mart costs $15.

Our business is mostly duck and goose eggs that we sell to natural and organic groceries. People want to support local farmers, but I doubt they would pay the price needed if we went organic.

10. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Thanks to the Cornish Game Hens thread, I now know I've never eaten any birds/poultry other than chickens. I'd pay $15 for a duck to try it. More than that and I'd either do my own or have to really love them to pay more. I'm in KS, so being in OR I would think you could easily get more like $20-$25.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by