How much should I expect to spend on a LGD?

IttyBittyBirdy

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
Michigan
I'm currently looking for one to keep on eye on not only the coops, but the property in general. I've considered a few different breeds like the Great Pyrenees.

How much should I honestly expect to pay? Should I get a puppy or young adult?

Thanks!

I'm currently looking for one to keep on eye on not only the coops, but the property in general. I've considered a few different breeds like the Great Pyrenees.

How much should I honestly expect to pay? Should I get a puppy or young adult?

Thanks!
It depends on where you live. I’ve heard some people who live in different areas say they cost $500-$750. For my area they cost anywhere from $150-$300 typically but I’ve seen up to $500. Do a search on Craigslist for your area and see what the average price is. If you want the dog to be registered pure breed, it will of course cost more. I would look at getting a puppy so you can train it, if you have the time. A young adult could possibly have bad habits that would be harder to train. Not all Pyrenees are good with chickens. I have one who is excellent, never had issues. And I have a puppy who is struggling with her training.

It depends on where you live. I’ve heard some people who live in different areas say they cost $500-$750. For my area they cost anywhere from $150-$300 typically but I’ve seen up to $500. Do a search on Craigslist for your area and see what the average price is. If you want the dog to be registered pure breed, it will of course cost more. I would look at getting a puppy so you can train it, if you have the time. A young adult could possibly have bad habits that would be harder to train. Not all Pyrenees are good with chickens. I have one who is excellent, never had issues. And I have a puppy who is struggling with her training.
$500-600 is the price I've been seeing for working stock dogs.

If you were to suggest other breeds, what would you suggest?

Thank you for taking the time to answer!

I've had 2 outstanding chicken dogs. First was a free lab/Australian shepherd puppy. Born on a farm with chickens to a hunting momma. Did not spend 10 minutes having to train her. Could stand her ground with coyotes but was better at alerting the male dog and sending him in. Second was a lab/ GP pound puppy. Raised with mean geese. Had some ADHD issues with humans until he was about 3. Could hold his own against 5 coyotes, never touched a feather on any chicken and again zero training. Both dogs had 80 acres to patrol. Yes I would lose a few every year but that's the price of free ranging. They saved many more than they lost.
Don't get hung up on a specific LGD. There are many good chicken dogs out there. Most LGD breeds are challenging to train, are wired differently (roam, not food or people driven), require quality fencing, are expensive to feed, are super sized (my female Akbash is 126#) and therefore will be short lived. Most alert, active, 75# family friendly dog can do the job. They won't be crazy about sleeping out in the middle of a snow storm but who is? Oh yeah, my dog.

$500-600 is the price I've been seeing for working stock dogs.

If you were to suggest other breeds, what would you suggest?

Thank you for taking the time to answer!
I don’t have any experience with any other breeds. My Pyrenees who does well has a small amount of Anatolian Shepherd in him and I’ve heard others suggest it as well. The puppy is Pyrenees and she’s struggling with not wanting to play with them. But you may search for other threads on here. I have seen many discussions and others talk about what breeds they have that do well with their chickens. But when it boils down to it, it depends on the dog’s personality also. Not all “LGDs” are good with chickens. My Pyrenees male just has a super laid back personality.

Don't get hung up on a specific LGD... Most alert, active, 75# family friendly dog can do the job.

Our current LGD is a 55lb mutt from the Caribbean. One of the best dogs I've ever known. Does her nightly rounds, checks out all the coops, has had zero training to do this btw, and hasn't even considered touching a single feather on their little behinds. She's amazing, but unfortunately she's getting up there in age.

I don’t have any experience with any other breeds. My Pyrenees who does well has a small amount of Anatolian Shepherd in him and I’ve heard others suggest it as well. The puppy is Pyrenees and she’s struggling with not wanting to play with them. But you may search for other threads on here. I have seen many discussions and others talk about what breeds they have that do well with their chickens. But when it boils down to it, it depends on the dog’s personality also. Not all “LGDs” are good with chickens. My Pyrenees male just has a super laid back personality.
Thank you for your input!! <3

Back
Top Bottom