How much should I feed a large group of animals? UPDATE Page 4 - #32.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrygirl, Aug 24, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have been debating if I should post this question or not but it has been on my mind for the longest and I just have to know. How do you know how much to feed your animals? Do you measure your feed per cup/per animal? or Do you use some other way to measure? or Do you just have unlimited amount of feed for them?

This is my situation. I feed my flock flockraiser in addition to laying pellets but I don't think that they are getting enough feed. This is a list of the animals and how many I have:

122 chickens
    19 muscovy ducks
    9 geese
    6 turkeys

For the number of animals that I have, should I just pour feed out in their LARGE round trays and let them have a buffet all day long or should I measure the feed out? They also have access to grass during the day as they free range. I know that they are not starving but I really wanted to hear what everyone else has to say.

Right now, I pour their feed in a FULL 5 gallon bucket (twice a day) and this is put in all of the feeders. They gobble this up in no time. They are fed about 6:30 AM & 5:00 PM every day.

Any suggestions or advice on what to do? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    We also have mixed free range flock that sounds similar to yours. We feed free-choice.

I built our feeders myself, cheaper that way and I can get them bigger capacity building them myself. I just use a hole saw to cut about 1-1/2 inch holes all around the base of a five gallon bucket, bolted a large metal feed pan on the bottom of the bucket and then we hang the buckets off a feed station that we built out of an old wooden swingset frame, we just cut the legs in half to lower it down and the buckets hang from chains. Works like a charm.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Forgot to also add in there, our current flock is smaller than yours -- about the same number of chickens but 14 fewer ducks, 3 fewer geese and 3 fewer turkeys, so 20 fewer birds altogether -- and they go through a little more than two full five gallons buckets of custom mixed 22% protein feed each day plus free range. You could definitely stand to put out more feed and if you're really using just one bucket (maybe I am reading wrong) I would definitely say put out more feeders to lessen competition.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    One 5 gallon bucket of feed does not sound like enough for that many birds. I only have 12 chickens and they go through a scoop a day, and it doesn't take many scoops to fill a 5 gallon bucket. How many feeders do you have? How old are the birds? I would keep increasing the amount of feed until when everyone has eaten, there would still be some left. That way you know that they have eaten all they want. I would probably double what you feed now and watch the birds to try and see if everyone (even timid ones) get to eat. If it is gone real quick with nothing left, I would increase it some more and keep increasing until some is left. If not all the birds are getting to eat, you may not have enough feeders.

5. Ladga304

Ladga304 New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    Lewisburg
    I only have 13 birds, and they have a feeder. Let's see now, I think I have put in feed twice in the last 9 days. I also, make routine visit to spread oats and or other fruits and veggies as well as use a little cod liver oil on their treats. Most of them will eat from my hand. They free range and can eat bugs and plants as well.

I think that if they are eating all the food you aren't giving them quite enough! Sounds crazy but chickens are supposed to eat their fill of food since it takes them all day. You might try spreading their food outside and/or getting wild bird seed in bulk and spreading it, so they graze for their food.

I too am not sure how much to feed them!

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:To answer your questions..........

How many feeders do you have? 8 feeders

How old are the birds? 2 months old to 5 years old.

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Thanks for everyone's input. You all have confirmed my doubts. I'm not feeding them enough. [​IMG] I kinda knew that in the back of my mind but just needed someone to confirm that for me. So, I guess I will try 10 gallons of feed for each feeding for a total of 20 gallons of feed a day. I will keep my eye on it to make sure that they are not wasting it but I"m sure that they will not. Now, I have to calculate that in to my feed bill. Today is feed day, so I will getting a few extra bags. I will let you all know how that works out.

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I am feeding them 1 - 5 gallon bucket of feed in the morning and another 5 gallon bucket of feed in the evening, making that a total of 10 gallons each day. What type of custom mix ed 22% protein feed are you using? Your own concoction or store bought? Would love to hear more about it.

9. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Its hard to say.

My general advice is that if they run out at any point, you arent feeding them enough. But i do available food at all times.

10. Jessie_Jazz

Jessie_Jazz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    I have read that one chicken per day need 1/4 lb of feed. This can be either all layers pellets, or a mixture of pellets and mixed corn.

I multiply this by the number of chickens I have..... does this sound about the right amount?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by