How much should I feed them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Poliwag, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    I've got 6 chickens and they eat like pigs. Should I feed them 'till they are full or is there a limit?

They are all silkies. 3 are almost 2 weeks old while the other 3 are a little over a week old.

[​IMG]

Oh, and here's just a fun picture:
    [​IMG]
    (that's one of the chicks and my cat)

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi there! I feed my chicks and adult birds free choice, as much as they choose to eat. from what I can tell, they're not like puppies, who will gorge until they get sick. When the chicks / adults have a full crop, they stop eating for a while. BTW, that pic of the chick with your cat is adorable! VERY pretty cat! (have 8 here myself...) [​IMG]

3. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:Ah ok. So I just keep feeding them? o_O

Quote:You've got 8 cats?! O_O

4. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

i recommend free feed, let tehm eat till full, and keep fresh clean water available 24-7

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:Ah ok. So I just keep feeding them? o_O

Quote:You've got 8 cats?! O_O

Yes, the most recent was supposed to be a temporary foster; it was an emergency rescue of a kitten found in someone's car engine. They were going to just let it go (on a VERY busy 5-lane (4 traffic lanes plus center turn lane) highway in midday... a friend of mine found out about it while at work and called me to say, "can you come get this kitten?" and here we are, 7 mos. later... [​IMG] I lost a beloved Siamese last spring in a drowning accident. My heart still aches for her... My two elder ladies are 19 yrs. (in three weeks), and 16 1/2 yrs. The others are just scattered between the two extremes.

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    To the OP, yes leave the feed in there all the time, and they will eat as much as they need. Make sure it's a chick starter feed so they're getting all the necessary nutrients.

Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by