How much should i have to buy a horse

chicken gal

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
This is sorta unrelated to the whole Backyard Chicken website but, I love horses. I hoping to get one around 14 or 15 when I can actually support it by working. My parents are going to pay for part of it. I am want to buy a good all- around family horse, no shows or anything. So like no foo-foo stuff! So maybe around $1200-$2000. How much money should I have now to buy one in a couple of years?

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
The expensive part isn't the horse ( I got 3 of my 4 for free). The expensive part is board or hay and grain and barn maintenance, vet, blacksmith, straw/sawdust and tack.

[COLOR=800080]This is sorta unrelated to the whole Backyard Chicken website but, I am a pretty young person and I love horses. I hoping to get one around 14 or 15 when I can actually support it by working. My parents are going to pay for part of it. I am want to buy a good all- around family horse, no shows or anything. So like no foo-foo stuff! So maybe around $1200-$2000. How much money should I have now to buy one in a couple of years? (I am 12)[/COLOR]

A 'generic' pet horse themselves are generally cheap, it's only when you get into specially trained or exotics that the cost of the horse itself goes though the roof... I can get older pet horses all day in my area for under $500, free even with some ground work...

What many people don't realize (and the reason 2nd hand horses can be found cheap) is the cost to keep the horse once you get it that is what will drive you into the poor house! If you have your own stable/pasture and what not it's a lot more cost efficient... But, when you have to stable them somewhere else the monthly cost skyrockets, and it's almost like having a brand new car payment or even 2nd mortgage... Around me basic horse boarding starts at about $300/month at a local farm/stable, if you want a more fancy 'riding facility' they start at about $500/month... Also basic vet bills can cost a small fortune, especially if they get sick or injured...

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to crush your dreams but a horse is a big (huge even) long term responsibly even more so at a young age, talk it over long an hard with your parents especially if they are going to help support it and come up with a solid plan, don't just jump into it...

You can do it! Unless you are wanting a professional horse that has been trained for a specific job, or is a purebred, there is no reason you should have to spend that much. It would be a good idea to put as much back as these critters can be creative about spending your money!
wink.png

You might be interested in finding out if you have any equine shelters or rescues in your area. Most shelters could always use an extra volunteer and you'd get to find out about keeping horses first hand. Adoption fees are usually a lot less than the price of buying from a private seller and you get the added bonus of spending time with the horse before you buy it. Plus these animals generally go through a health check and they would tell you any problems the horse might have. Private sellers are not always upfront about this information.

Veterinarians, equestrian clubs, farm stores and riding facilities are also good places to ask questions. They can tell you how much feed and boarding and vaccinations are in your area. They can also recommend dependable maintenance for your horse including local farriers to keep their tootsies happy. Feed companies often have people to answer questions about their feeds. Purina will send you a new horse owner care pack with basic nutrition and health info.

It sounds like you are doing an amazing job of planning and preparing for your future horse friend!
smile.png
Any horse would be lucky to have such a caring person! Best of luck!

I would recommend getting an older horses that is well broke so that it can help teach you things. Because a green person plus a green horse is not the best combo. also try to meet local breeders/ show people to help you to learn about horses

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens;)!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

welcome-byc.gif

This is sorta unrelated to the whole Backyard Chicken website but, I am a pretty young person and I love horses. I hoping to get one around 14 or 15 when I can actually support it by working. My parents are going to pay for part of it. I am want to buy a good all- around family horse, no shows or anything. So like no foo-foo stuff! So maybe around $1200-$2000. How much money should I have now to buy one in a couple of years?
If this is what you really want to do, then go for it. I was fifteen when I bought my own horse. I raised money by starting a small business, a photography business. I rode my bike around the historic parts of my city, made recycled frames, and sold my artwork out of a local store. Soon it took off and I was hired to do weddings and birthdays, then it was individual photo shoots. Next thing I new I had the money ($800) to buy a "second hand" horse. His name was Holiday, a 14 year old quarter horse gelding. I waited until I found the right deal, and right horse for me. He came with a horse trailer, and all of his tack. Don't settle on the first horse you see, shop around, trust me it will be worth it.

To lower my annual bill, I learned how to care for my horses hooves. We utilized out pastures to lower feed costs, and used mostly home remedies for health care. Though nothing pressing ever happened to us, you should try to be prepared for a hearty vet bill.

After two years with my amazing friend, I was in an accident while out riding with my neighbor. His horse backed up to me while I was on my horse, and kicked with both back legs. One hoof his my horse, the other hoof hit me in the shin. After surgery and a few months of rehab, it was clear I would not ride again any time soon. I re-homed Holiday to a family with a few hundred acres that promised to retire him. It has been nearly four years since the accident, and I am finally able to ride again. All this to say raising the money isnt the hard part. The hard part is being careful, and prepared for the worst.

Sorry If that wasn't very helpful, I get a little ramble-y sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Angiadelle gave you great advice. My niece was crazy about horses since she was a little kid (she is pushing 50 now), one of her neighbors had a horse in boarding. My niece got to go over and ride the horse to exercise it. , and even learned how to do low jumps. She never did buy a horse but, always seemed to meet horse people. One had quarter horses and my niece got to ride them. and fairly recently she met someone with mules and got to try them out..Her horse figure collection is huge.

I went a different route (dogs), when I was 11 I saved up enough money to buy a pure bred Cocker. At 12 I started showing dogs, my $ 40 pup was not show quality. At 14 I was trimming dogs, At 20 I opened my own Poodle grooming shop , this was during the poodle boom when every one had a poodle or two. Since I had a steady income, I started seriously showing and breeding dogs. I have to say tho my parents were never on board, they always wanted me to straighten out and be normal - whatever that is. IF you want to do it, you will, and you will excel. Age has little to do with it. You GO with it.
yesss.gif

Thank you all! I have a neighbor with two horses and 2 minis (adorable) and I will try to ask her more about this kind of stuff. Lots of you had said age has little to do with it, but my mom said "when your older you can have one when you can pay and your brother can drive you" Well I think that is partly true. So I want to know really what I am getting into and maybe start by leasing and then (it I f am lucky enough to buy it) buy the horse. But this is all if I think I can handle it. What do you guys think?

You are being very supportive, I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom