How much should I interact with my chicks to keep them used to me?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by monarc23, Jan 20, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    This is my FIRST time hatching chicken chicks sucessfully. I have two so far with more on the way in just days. So my question is, how much can I handle and pet the chicks without over-doing it or stressing them out? i want them as tame as the chicks we got from a breeder when i was a kid were. They grew up and would follow me everywhere and were just great birds...I'd like that again and just don't want to over do the socilization.

What do you all do to help socilize your chicks and how often?

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    handle them much as you can, and give them treats when they get a little age ( two or three weeks old) that is the fastest way for the to be your friends, got to have trust from them

3. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    hi,
    i really didn't pick mine up when they were chicks and pet them, but i wish now that I had . they will let me gently stroke them a couple of times and then jump away. they are all just short of a year old now, and will follow me and come close, but are not lap chickens. I think that if you picked them up and petted them each for a couple of minutes a day, that they would let you continue that as they grow up.

4. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:thanks [​IMG] I barely remember how much I handled them as a kid, but im sure i did a lot! [​IMG] So 2-3 weeks i can start giving treats, can yogurt be introduced then too or no...and even if so what other sorts of treats can i offer? Mealworms? fruits? veggies? [​IMG]

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:yeah I have I think it's 11 chickens outside now and some will eat out of my hand, but don't trust me too well and I want some buddies like i had when I was a kiddo. [​IMG] The ones i have outside I got as adults so I had no say in thier socilization [​IMG]. And I really want say in these babies! LOL!

6. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    As long as your careful,I think the more the better if you want to handle them later.I know guys that bring full grown roosters inside the house and put them on their lap (on a towel just in case) and pet them while they're watching tv.Just to get them use to it.Get them use to your voice too.It pays off later.
    Your not supposed to spoil kids,but not sure about roosters.
    Will

7. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    you can give them anything a grown chicken can eat just not as much, i aways stay away from greens, for it sometimes gives them the runs

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG] thanks [​IMG] My biggest chick is the male and he's already such a sweetie. He lets me know he wants me to put my hand over him so he can snuggle which is just so darn cute! I named the lil buggar Toby, and the lil hen hubby wants me to name Shmiskit. LOL. I have an adult hen that we call Shmicken so I assume I'll have several more that get named Sh names. [​IMG]

Sounds like i got LOTS of spoiling to do! [​IMG]

9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:thanks [​IMG]

10. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    When i hatch chicks out i am always holding them and playing around with them putting my hand in the brooder and they will follow my hand or try to jumpy on it or peck at it seeing what it is LOL

i play with them 24-7 and i am happy to say by me doing that now i have a lot of adult chickens that follow my every step and wanting to stand on my lap when i am setting down LOL

and i have a Buff silkie rooster that loves to cuddle LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by