How much should I pay for eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ASweetHeart, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ASweetHeart

ASweetHeart Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    I'm not really sure how much I should be paying.....I bought a lot of 24 silkie eggs off ebay 2 weeks ago for about $25 shipped. I'm looking to get more once they hatch in about a week. Right now, Ebay seems to be mostly small lots for all the breeds I'm interested in, which doesn't seem to be very economical. I contacted a lady through her website, she wants about $100 for 45 eggs shipped in two batches. That would be about 2x what I paid last time. Seems kinda high to me where there isn't any gaurentee that they will come in unbroken, or even hatch. I don't know of anywhere local I can buy. Am I being cheap? Suggestions? Comments?

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Hard to say without seeing any of the breeding stock. Run of the mill is cheaper than show quality, but some people are deceptive and try to extort higher prices for lower quality stock. And silkies are very popular, so there is high demand for their hatching eggs.

3. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

No 100$ is really high for silkie eggs. If you lived in Utah I could proabaly give you a ton for FREE. i got to many.[​IMG]

4. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Quote:Wow I didnt know that, 100$ for mine now. Just kidding,[​IMG] if you lived close to herriman Utah I will give you a dozen or maybe two for Free.[​IMG]

5. ASweetHeart

ASweetHeart Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    That's sweet [​IMG]
    I live in Western NC.

I'm not even sure if all my ebay eggs are even silkie eggs, some seem rather big, some are very white and others beige.

Out of 30ish chickens, I only have had 1 lay so far. At the end of August, she layed about a doz. They were all smallish and beige. So frustrating!! I really like trying to hatch them - for some reason I find it really cool to watch them in the egg and outside trying to develop.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It depends what type of quality the parent stock are. Silkie eggs aren't cheap. Also, I would ask the breeder how they wrap the eggs for shipping, so you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by