How much should I pay for silkie chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by theCoolAimee, Nov 14, 2011.

1. theCoolAimee

theCoolAimee Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Hattiesburg
    I had some offered to me after I posted an add on CL. The youngest she had were 2 weeks old at $6/chick. is this too much?? I've never bought any silkie chicks before, maybe they're just more expensive? (just plain white, not for showing- just pets)

2. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Prices vary depending on the seller, and the quality of fowl that they are offering.

On average a hatchery quality Silkie chick is $4.00 (including shipping). Is asking $1.00 per week expensive? Let's consider picking up the animals, caring for them, supplies, electricity, possible loss of chicks she paid for, and the time it takes to communicate with you. The only person this lady is ripping off is herself.

3. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    No, $6 is not too much. An average day old chick of a regular laying breed around here goes for 5.95. The more exotic, the more exppensive. I've seen some for as much as $8.95!

4. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    I think that is very cheap for a silkie! considering all the care they have had to put in it the last 6 weeks

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    That sounds like a good price to me for that age. Especially during this time of year when it can be hard to find birds.

6. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Frankly, you get what you pay for. Do you want a flock of silkies that actually look like silkies, or do you want something that might resemble a silkie, but then again, it might not?

Remember, it costs just as much to feed, house and care for a mediocre bird from a mediocre flock as it costs to feed pretty pet silkies that came from a breeder who cares about the breed. The purchase price is only a small part of the cost of your flock. Keep in mind, down the road you'll be able to sell your eggs and/or chicks more easily if they come from good parents.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I bought 2 silkie pullets for $15.00 total. They are from 3 months - 5 months old. Really nice quality, more uncommon of a colour than white (blue and partridge). I bought a SQ roo for $15.00 at a year old. I also bought a PQ blue hen for $15.00.

In conclusion, no, I don't think that's too much. [​IMG]

8. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    If the chicks are cared for, cute, and you really want them, $6 is really not much even for a backyard mix, imo [​IMG] I will probably sell mine for $5 - $10 depending on age and other specifics at some point in time.

I've saw the brahma egg auction end with the highest bid at $600 and something. THAT is too expensive, imo ~ crazy more like it! But if the demand and the money is there, make some money I say! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Get the silkies if you want them and have the money. I'm sure they will make lovely pets. [​IMG]

9. AshleyW

AshleyW Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2011
    I paid 5.50 per chick when I got my 4 silkies, I got them the same day they hatched.

10. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    I got my silkies a couple of weeks ago, they were 6 a piece and so I got 3. I paid 3 a piece for hatchery RIRs, so I think 6 for silkies isn't bad, since they're so cute and fluffy and I really wanted them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by