How much should I sell 3 week old show quality australorp chicks for?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by guinea fowl galore, Dec 19, 2010.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I have someone that want's to buy some australorp chicks I just hatched out when they are two to three weeks old. At the moment I am selling them for $7. They are pure breed high quality birds, I'm in australia so I think that makes a difference to their quality, not sure.
    So how much should I be selling them for?

Here are pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It is not possible to tell that the birds are show quality at 2 or 3 weeks of age. The best you can state is that they are from show quality parents, and provide plenty of photos and a list awards won by each parent. As for price, you will need to find out what chicks with a similar background sell for in Australia.

3. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'd suggest you try asking in the Backyardpoultry.com forums. That's a primarily Australian / NZ site, so the members should have a pretty good idea about supply / demand and pricing within Australia.

You're certainly in the right country for Australorps!
    I'd love a chance to compare the current Australian Australorp with the Australorps here in the U.S...

Best regards - exop

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the naming comment. Those birds could very well grow up to be show quality when they mature, but right now, you don't know how they'd look in 12 months or so into the future. One cannot judge the total quality of a chick.

5. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Well then how much would you normally sell 3 week old australorp chicks?
    is $10 too low and $15 too high?

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Unless you have an extensive record of major show wins I can't imagine anyone paying that much for started chicks. But then again I don't know anything about the Australian chicken market.

7. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I sorta agree with another post in the term Show Quality is a misleading term. To me SQ is a proven bird that did already win a show. Not just a variety. I win BV's all the time cause no one shows the varieties I do. Are they Top Show Quality? NOT! Exhibition quality is a better term. To me that implies the bird being sold has birds in it's lineage that have been shown and did something.
    I don't think $7 is too far off from reality in the AUSTRALIAN Australorp market for Exhibition birds. I see Orpingtons here in the states sell for every bit of that. And are also unproven.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by