how much should i sell them for? please help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jkioneil, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Jkioneil

Jkioneil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I have four hens that are laying but a flock of 7 and a roooster. the other four are about to lay. they are singing daily etc. i have 3 rir, 2 BR, 1 ee, 1 buff orp, and an astrolorp rooster with coop and water feeder and chicken wire, and garbage can filled with food and oyster shell DE and grit. How much should i see it all for or if i sell it all and only the 4 layers how much should i sell that for? thanks i have no idea. thanks

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  2. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    just fyi i have 3 weeks to figure out a home fo rthe ladies or my husband says we are eating them! we have to move and where we are going i can not take my girls. i am heart broken and am not really all to excited to eat them either. he says if i sell them then that would be ok but not to just rehome cuz we have put so much time and money into them.

3. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Well I just purchased 2 RIR/Orp's at the point of lay from a local feed store for $11 each. I have seen other places sell point of lay pullets for $20 each. So I would say that you should look at prices in your locality then deduct for each year of age they are (the older hens are worth less than pullets).

If you want them to move quickly then you should price them on the lower end. I wish you all the best! Sorry I am not more helpful [​IMG]

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    No reason you couldn't get 15$ pre hen @ the least! I paid 12$ for my POL pullets last yr.. Around here, it so hard to find healthy young hens that are laying and POL pullets... Just throw the rooster in for free... Or maybe ask for 75$ for the lot!

5. Jkioneil

Apr 29, 2010
    Oregon
    they are all young the layers have been laying for the last 3 weeks.

6. Lespaul0738

Lespaul0738 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    around here i buy 4 month old-laying hens for $5, all depends on where you are, and you get roosters for free around here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by