How much should my chicks be eating? And are their feed pieces too big for them to eat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ShoeEars, Apr 20, 2012.

1. ShoeEars

ShoeEars Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    Fresno/Clovis, CA
    I originally posted this in the 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock', but later thought that maybe it should have gone in this section (?). I'm not sure. I haven't gotten a response in the other forum section, but this section seems to move quicker than the other one and some opinions/advice would be nice :)

I'll repost everything here, but here's the link to the original if you're curious:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/654139/how-much-should-my-chicks-be-eating

(I revised it, so it's a bit different from the OP.)

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    If the chicks are having trouble eating the feed, it probably means the pieces are too big for them. In the past, we've put some in a plastic bag and gven it a bit of a whack, like you would do if crushing biscuits, but that seemed to make everything powdery, so probably not a good option either. :lol:
    If the feed is disappearing unusally fast, they might be kicking it out of the feeder into their bedding. This used to happen all the time to us. We would go to clean out the bedding, and there was a layer of feed below it, all around the feeder. Try using a raised feeder so they can't scratch at it as easily.
    Other than that... they're probably just at a stage when they eat a lot. :idunno CHickens won't eat more than they need. if they're full, they will just ignore the food.

3. ShoeEars

ShoeEars Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    Fresno/Clovis, CA
    Thanks for the response! [​IMG]

I will try crushing the feed a bit and a raised feeder and see what happens. If they still seem to still be eating a lot, then I'll just go with it.
    Thanks again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by