How much should neighbor $$ for Judys death??

Ericasl

Songster
11 Years
Feb 21, 2008
The Dalles OR
Hi all I need your help, If you read my story you know our neighbors dog broke in our barn window and killed our lead hen. The cops told her she had to pay for the damages. I have yet to talk to her, how much is fair for a hen?? We paid 10 bucks for them they are not a year old yet. I just wanted to know what you all thought. I would love to charge her for all of our familys tears, and egg loss for stress of my other birds. We have gone from 10 eggs a day to 5, what do you all think is fair.
PS. I think she got rid of the dog. I am not sure.
hu.gif

We had a dogs down the road that killed one of our roosters I know of but we are pretty sure he killed 3 more rooster and a young hen. We talked to the guy and he gave me 20 dollers for the rooster and feed cost, he said he whould tie them up then they were up here again so animal contral took one dog away out of alot. And we saw him again a few days ago stagering around he might have rabies. I whould charge for the lost of the hen and feed cost to feed the hen.
I am sorry about your lost.
sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
These beings are priceless and so I know it is very painful to see their "worth" reduced to a few dollars spent for initial purchase. If that's all that a chicken's people recover, offenders will never learn how valuable our feathered friends really are and humans on average will continue to see chickens as expendable.

I don't know if you ultimately will get this amount, but I would certainly list a percentage of your costs for feed, loss of eggs, straw or wood shavings, any medical she's had along the way, repairs to your structures, anything, everything you can think of. Even if you don't recover this amount, hopefully this gets people to think.

My roo was once viciously attacked by a passerby's dog (he wasn't on a leash) and in the chaos of trying to get him emergency care and then nurse him back from near death, I lost the person's name and number and so never contacted them with a bill. The vet bills, meds etc. were probably in the range of $1000 before all was said and done. If I had presented her with that bill, I am virtually certain her dog would never be let off a leash again when it was being walked. She never learned, I took the hit financially and most importantly, the roo suffered greatly (he did recover, thank goodness).

I'm so sorry for Judy and for your anguish.
JJ

I'm lucky the guy whos dogs came upper use to have chickens. Some people consider chickens to be just a farm animal, but they can be pets to. Once you raise them and they get big to were there laying and a another animal comes up to your land and eats them you don't fell that good.

I ran over 2 hens 30 years ago. The cops made me pay $25.00 ea way back then. This is a case of I could not help it they were in the road.. in your case the owner is WRONG!! he should keep his dogs under controll.- :mad:

There is no way I would charge less that $50. It will take some time for your hens to readjust and start laying normally again. That is worth something. I also feel you have a duty to educate these folks. They won't feel $10, or $20, but $50 will sting a little.

JMO!

Gwen

I'm with Gwen, go with $50. I charged a neighbor $40 for a few dead pullets and his dogs were there the next day. Hit them in the pocketbook!

Back
Top Bottom