How much should the layers be outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by harleyjo, May 21, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I have some new pullets, 11 are almost 5 weeks old and 3 that are 1 1/2 weeks old. We just got the coop and a small yard area done last week. We don't have a cover over the outside yard. So I stay out with them when they are out. I am so afraid of preditors swooping down and getting them or cats crawling over the fence we have up. I hope in time I will get over this because we do want them to free range in our yard. How much outside time should they be getting each day and is it ok for them to be out in rainy weather?

2. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Bump to top..

3. lottastuff9

lottastuff9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    From my experience, your 1.5 week olds definately should not be out in rain they should still be kept pretty warm, aprox 95 to 90 degrees depending on how you are decreasing. The 5 week olds can have a little more fun with outside but still not a good idea for them to get wet, so a shelter is definately needed. I don't know your outside temps to know about how much time for running around. Opinions vary on the subject.

4. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    the real younf ones shouldnt be out in the rain
    the older ones might accually injoy the rain, i know mine did ;D
    if its a real nice, sunny day, they can be out for a while, and you dont have to be out there with them all the time
    just keep and eye on them
    if its a nasty looking day, you can let them out, but if it gets to bad, put them up
    and what part of the country you from?

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:You probably didn't realize it, but "bumping" is against the forum rules.

6. RAWR

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:You probably didn't realize it, but "bumping" is against the forum rules.

it is >.< its ok tho, i think we've all done this once before

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010
  7. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Sorry, no I didn't know that it was against the rules. I am in Iowa.

8. RAWR

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:its ok hun, dnt worry about it LOL
    and is it very warm in the days and nights?

9. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Our spring has been really up and down. Today it is in the 80's but very windy and will get down to the 60's tonight but has been in the 50's at night. I have been taking them(the older ones) out a few times a day when I can for 20 to 30 minutes at a time. Most of the time they go back in themselves. Now this afternoon it is warm and windy and they really didn't stay out very long. We have a small enclosure about 8 x12 with panels and chicken wire on them that stands about 5 feet high. I am rural but in a small town of about 150 people. We still have cats around and the usual wild preditors on ground and in the air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by