1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much should they really be eating?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Free Feather, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

I have twelve ducks and twenty-five chickens. Both male and female, varied ages, some molting. They free-range, but with winter and all they are likely not getting much. They are on some kind of grower with supplemental, free-choice calcium. Can someone tell me how much food I should be going through a day? A month? How much each? I do not think I am feeding enough. I would like some numbers, be it pounds or cups or whatever.
    I would also like to know how many feeders and waterers I should have out. Ducks are hogs, of the food and water. I currently have two plain old tractor supply red and white feeders, two waterers of the same style, three pans, and a trough. I have more troughs and such for food if need be. I have four to five black rubber water bowls, a bucket, and two swimming tubs for water as well. Let me know if more information is needed. I would really like to know.

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    5.5 lbs -7 lbs per day for the chickens.
    Not sure for the ducks

3. Free Feather

With the average mash feed weight, how many cups do you think that would be?

4. matt44644

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    You would have to weigh a cup then go from there.Not every feed or grain weighs the same.Most tend to be 4-6 oz. per cup

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I would suggest you use your home scale and weigh some out - either a small kitchen scale to weigh one cup - or use your larger bathroom scale and scoop until you hit a registering weight and count the number of cups as you add them. Different feeds will have different weights per volume depending on the formulations. You'll only have to do it once for any feed you use.

6. matt44644

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    1 cup of Nutrena Layerwise =5.1oz.
    1 cup of ground soybeans =4.2oz.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    For a flock your size I wouldn't muck around with measurements like cups, etc - I'd be using a nice multi-quart feed scoop.
    How are you feeding your flock? Are you using feeders or scattering (mash and most feeds other than scratch grains are ill suited for scattering due to the amount of waste involved with that approach)?

8. Free Feather

I have the feeder types I use listed above. I scatter scratch in the evenings in the run in the deep litter. They have not been eating many treats lately.
    If you had as many birds as me, what kind of feed scoop would you use?

9. matt44644

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    IMO i wouldn't scatter the scratch in the deep litter.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A lot of folks use this approach to get the flock to do the work of turning the litter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by