how much slope should my chckens new coop have

Skelley1024

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
We have just built our new coop but are not sure on how much of a slope on the ramp that our ladies will require to easily enter and exit the coop. We have 7 RIRs, 9 barred rocks, a dominique, a wyandotte, a Brahma and a mixed lady with 5 chicks (who are crosses with a polish and will eventually use the same coop).
Our coop is approximately 3 feet off the ground. How wide should the ramp be and how steep of a slope should it have?
Thanks for any help you knowledgeable peeps can :)provide:)

We have just built our new coop but are not sure on how much of a slope on the ramp that our ladies will require to easily enter and exit the coop. We have 7 RIRs, 9 barred rocks, a dominique, a wyandotte, a Brahma and a mixed lady with 5 chicks (who are crosses with a polish and will eventually use the same coop).
Our coop is approximately 3 feet off the ground. How wide should the ramp be and how steep of a slope should it have?
Thanks for any help you knowledgeable peeps can :)provide:)

Here's what our original coop looked like - I think our door is about 2 feet off the ground and the run box was 4 feet long. So after some math I figured my triangle of ramp...the angle between the ground and the ramp is 26.5 degrees and the angle between the ramp and the coop area is 63.5 degrees. They don't use much of the ramp past the 3rd or 4th notch tho. They just hop up to the top and walk in. :)

Back
Top Bottom