How much space between roosting bars for poo to drop through?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicabee19, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I've been watching videos and looking at photos.

I can't really tell how much the spacing is between multiple roosting bars.

In many of the videos/pics it doesn't look like there's enough space between them for the poo to drop through onto the floor or catch tray. It seems like the poo is going to fall on the other bars.

Is there a general guideline on spacing?

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Mine are 18 inches apart. I do not have an issue with poo landing on the roost below or hens below.
    I have some heavy breeds in my flock.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I have thick, round roosts that are spaced like the rungs of a ladder with approx. 12 in. between the rungs. No poo on these, or the gals. [​IMG]

4. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    With four (maybe five) hens, how many roost bars do I need to provide? I was thinking one.

[​IMG]

5. tamemeg

tamemeg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    At what height should the roosts be, does it matter if they are lower or higher than the laying boxes??? [​IMG]

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    With four or five hens one roost will work about 30 to 36 inches above the ground. I would provide at least 12 inches for each heavy breed bird.

The roosts definately need to be higher that then nest boxes or they will roost in or on the nest boxes.

7. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    moved

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  8. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:So how does it work if the roosts are in a different area than the nesting boxes? Is it just a matter of height and the chickens with roost on the higher level in a different room/area?

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I keep roosting areas as far from nest boxes as possible. Chickens like to be together while roosting and I like to discourage any roosting in the nests. You could even use an old step ladder and get a good roosting spot for only that many hens. Just lean it up against the wall at a good angle and secure it well. They like to roost high, the higher the better.

10. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    When you say they like to roost up high, can the high part be that the coop is on stilts so that their roost is 4 feet off the ground (but only 1 foot above the bottom of the coop floor), or does it mean it needs to be high off the coop floor?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by