1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much space do I need?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RubberDuck, Apr 3, 2012.

1. RubberDuck

RubberDuck Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    I know this has been posted before, but I've just got confused.
    I'm going to get 4 or 5 chickens, and I would like plenty of space for them, especially when fully grown. How much space do they need each? Also, how big does the run need to be, and how big does the coop/house need to be?
    [​IMG] Thanks

2. crazychickenwom

crazychickenwom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Central Ohio
    The common recommendation is 4 square feet of house space, and 10 square feet of yard space / run. So for 4-5 chickens at minimum you should have a chicken house about 20 square feet and their yard should be 50 square feet. Of course this is for the biggest type fowl, if you are getting bantams or smaller breeds you can go with a little less. Good luck with your chickies and welcome to BYC!

2 people like this.
  3. RubberDuck

RubberDuck Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Thank you. [​IMG]

4. ScottLovelandCO

ScottLovelandCO Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Loveland, CO
    My Coop
    One other thing to keep into consideration is "chicken math!' You say you want 4-5 right now but you'll end up with 6-8. My suggestion is to build bigger than you expect! That's my two cents.

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by