How much space do they need???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pjokkeline, Mar 30, 2011.

1. pjokkeline

pjokkeline New Egg

Mar 27, 2011
    I am going to buy some chickens this spring so I need a chicken coop. I was thinking about having a small house for them to stay in in the garden for the summer with a big fence around so they can be outside without fearing the foxes we have around here. In the winter I thought we could move the chicken coop into the stable (no horses there!) and have some warmth on for them there. Is this a good idea or not???? The house I've almost ordered is 4ft*4ft. In the stable they will have plenty of space. But can anyone tell me how many chickens I can have? Do they need as much space inside the house in summer ( when they can be outside as much as they want) as in winter? One option is to put the house on poles and so they can also find shelter under the house, but will they use this place or argue about the room inside??? Perhaps a lot of silly questions, but hope someone answers anyway:D Thanks

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    If you go by the 4 sq ft per bird for the coop rule, then you could have 4 standard size chickens comfortably in the coop. Regardless of how much room they have during the day, that is where they will go to roost at night and to lay their eggs during the day.

If you have raptors in your area, it will be a good idea to have your run covered with chicken wire, netting or something to keep them from getting to your birds from above.

Hope that's helpful.

3. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    Go bigger, if you have the room, you won't regret it.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:Always good advice! Wish I had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by