How much space does a broody with eggs need?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Seeing Silkies, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    I had one Hen do her own thing in the coop with other & all was fine all hatched chicks were fine, My 2hd hen ( in a different coop ) did not do so well. I have another one who is on eggs. I was thinking about blocking off a space around her nest box.. To keep her & the babies in and all other out.. Her box ( 12x 12x 12 ) is only a few inches off the ground ( silkie ) would a space 2 feet by 3 feet be enough for her? would it be better to use a soild wood wall or could i frame mesh fence & use that for a wall from the others?... we have had some cold nights so i do turn on the heat light for them.. in the coop are 4 other silkies & 1 roo.

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    The 2'x3' should be enough space. They just need enough room so that they can get off the nest to poo and have room for food/water. You'll want to remove the big stinking pile she leaves daily and I'd take her off and give her something to dust bathe in a few times a week if she likes to do that.

3. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Than You, she is about 14 days from the hatch, is it best to do it now? or wait untill just before the hatch? oh and do you think the walls should be solid or would fence mesh be ok?

4. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    hey! what chick is your avatar of! its so cute!

5. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Quote:Thats a Show Girl in the pic its 1 day old & now is 5 going on 6 days old so i think we are out of the woods.. 1st time broody silkie & it didnt go well, the only one that made it so we have a chick living in our kithen on the counter... Now if i could just teach it how to do the dishes [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd use chicken wire for the broody coop walls so they can see and hear each other (after the chicks hatch) and get used to each other.

7. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Quote:Thank YOU I have some wire mesh, small so the chicks cant get throught, I will frame that out and use it for a wall
    Thanks again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by