How Much Space for a Broody and Her Chicks?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I'm wanting to create an area in my new coop for a broody to hatch her chicks. How much space should I allot for that?

I'm looking though threads here and searching the internet and seeing everything from 2'x2' dog crates to entire small coops.

You should also factor in your chicken size, if it's going to be permanent, or moveable.

We hatch bantams. We have temporary movable dog fences. Our areas are usually 3x2 and then expands if there's a lot of chicks or if they go out "free ranging" for a bit on the grass.

If it's gonna be a permanent area, built into your coop, you've gotta factor in access and how you're going to clean it.

You should also factor in your chicken size, if it's going to be permanent, or moveable.

We hatch bantams. We have temporary movable dog fences. Our areas are usually 3x2 and then expands if there's a lot of chicks or if they go out "free ranging" for a bit on the grass.

If it's gonna be a permanent area, built into your coop, you've gotta factor in access and how you're going to clean it.

While I know that broodiness can be completely unpredictable, I'm expecting that the most likely to go broody will be my Brahmas. And, in future years, the Cochins my son requested (full-size, not bantam).

Back
Top Bottom