How much space for quarantine?

ksguy

Songster
Jun 9, 2015
Kansas
Hi - I'm planning (hoping?) to purchase 3 buff orpington pullets to add to my flock. The birds are coming from a nearby high school student who bred them for an FFA project. The seller says they were vaccinated and raised on medicated feed, which I thought was redundant, but whatever.

My current flock has 4 pullets and 4 cockerels (though we'll be getting rid of 2 of the cockerels). My birds are 16 weeks and these new pullets are about 25 weeks.

I'm curious how much space they need in the quarantine pen. Does the same square footage rule apply as for in a coop? Right now I'm planning on picking up a lawn/garden tractor crate from Tractor Supply, wrap it in chicken wire, and keep it in my workshop. I believe those crates are about 3'x6'x3'. I'll put a tarp down on the floor and cover it with a mix of pine shavings, DTE, straw, and some dirt from the yard where my current chickens roam. Will that be enough space? Also, since these new birds are very close to laying, should I do a fancier setup that includes a nest box for them?

Since they are grown, they will need about 4 square feet of room per chicken. Be sure and find out which vaccines were given. Most people only vaccinate for Mareks disease, but nowadays some are vaccinating for coccidiosis. Medicated feed (amprollium) can cancel out the coccidiosis vaccine, so I doubt if they had that one. There are other vaccines for various issues, so after getting the vaccine list, also make sure they were being treated with medicated feed with amprollium. They should be put on a good 16% layer feed, and give them crushed oyster shell in a container where they can take what they need for extra calcium. Most hens prefer crushed egg shells to the oystershell. You can use a box about 14X14 inches filled with pine shavings for a temporary nest box.

Thanks for the info. I emailed the kid to ask him about the vaccine and medicated feed types. If for some odd reason he vaccinated for coccidiosis AND gave feed with amprollium, should I pass on the birds? I figure with having a buff hen in my flock that includes a couple roos, I might have a broody willing to hatch me some chicks come springtime anyway.

No, it just means that they can get coccidiosis, but at 25 weeks, they should be building up a tolerance. Just be aware of symptoms of coccidiosis, and get some Corid soon after symptoms develop. New soil can expose them to a new strain of cocci.

I did lose one chick to cocci in June when they were about ten days old. I've got Corid on hand from treating the rest of the birds when they showed symptoms at that time, as well as some probiotics that I gave them once they were off Corid. I guess I'll jump in with both feet, keep them in the shop, and keep a close eye on them. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom