how much space....?????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nicola, May 16, 2009.

1. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    i have currently 4 bantam sized chickes and am going to be hatching more in the springbut will only be able to keep 2-4 of them cause i have a small backyard https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1629 and i want to build on like this how big would i need to make it nothing Huge though and space affective

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I think 4x4' coop will be just right for them.

3. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    is that in the house or the run or both?

4. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    anyone else [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Usual guideline here is 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop and 10 sq ft per chicken in the run. So a 4X6 coop would hold your 6 chickens, by this standard.

But you will often read here that bigger is better, and I would not keep chickens in this small a space. Crowding leads to pecking and feather pulling, and there are a lot of posts on here about people with these problems. I have 4 hens in a 4x6 coop who free range all day over several acres, and one of them gets her feathers picked, anyway.

Give them as much space as you can.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  6. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    also what kind of door should i use?

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have no idea what your resources are. Here, a ready made people door could be bought fairly inexpensively at a lumber yard or home improvement center like Home Depot. You could also build it with something like 1x4's and hardware cloth. If you mean the chicken (pop) door, they are usually built out of framed wood, or a piece of something like plywood with a frame for it to slide in, depending how it will open and close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by