how much square foor per japanese bantam?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by spish, Jul 16, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    so if its 4ft² floor space per standard chicken...how much floor ft² is it for small bantams such as seramas or japanese kriels please? i cant seem to find an answer.

and is that floor space inside the house/sleeping quaters.....or is that for outside time/in the run?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Many say for small bantams, you can get by with 2sq.ft of indoor space, and 5 sq. ft of outdoor space. Of course lots of folks give much more than that. I'd look hard at how sedate vs. active the breed is. Some breeds (silkies for example) seem to do okay with limited space. Others (like my little d'uccles) seem to need more space; they're just a lot more active. I'm not familiar with Jap., but they look like active little birds to me [​IMG] Ample outdoor space and a roofed run (for winters) can help a lot when indoor space is tight.

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    many thanks thats super.
    so let me see if i get this right, for 10-12 small bantams id need a 'house' 24ft²..so thats 8ft long x 6ft wide? (as an example)
    please correct me if im wrong, im terrible at maths and conversions (i use metres and cm not foot and inches so am a bit unfamiliar with the 'size' of them )

4. Mamma_Duck04

Mamma_Duck04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Crazyville, VA
    Actually, if you're looking for a 24sqft coop (731.52sqcm), you're looking at something like 4ft x 6ft (121.92cm x 182.88cm).

5. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    I know there is a recommended sq ft of floor space per bird on this site but as stated it is only a guide. It seems to me that the birds are happier and clean up is easier when they have more floor space to move around. A big question that dictates the area needed in the coop is how much of the year will they be confined to the coop. Good luck.

6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Quote:of course it is...doh! maby thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by