How much square footage for ducks?

building is recommended minimum of 2-6 sq ft per bird
Pen size rec at 2-10sq ft per bird is dependent on if you have bantam or Large breed. it says a 4X8ft house can hold 6-12 ducks

I have my 2 ducklings and 5 leghorn chickens (will be down to 4 come fall) their coop is half my 10x10 shed so its 5x10= 50 sq ft. Which I can expand and separate them if need be. Their run I think is plenty for them it is about 500 sq ft, which I can also split if I need to seperate the chickens and ducks.

I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea to expand their coop space come winter.
Thanks @Miss Lydia

If they are going to be spending a lot of time inside over winter because of the weather, I go as large as you can.

Are your chickens in with the ducks now? sometimes there can be a problem between chickens and ducks being in the same coop so it would be a good idea to let them get use to one another before cold weather comes.

They are together now. At first I had large chicken wire seperating them, but after awhile the ducks would start tunneling over to the chickens and vice versa. So I removed the wire and now they are together. They get along pretty well and even snuggle together in the run.
Before winter I will just turn the whole shed into the coop, that way they have plenty of room and ventilation. I'm hoping they will fo out and get exercise in the winter though.

I don't live as far up north as you but it gets cold and snowy here and mine come out everyday. They aren't as active when there is snow on the ground or if its frigid but they still come outside.

I've always read 4 sq ft per duck in their house and 10 sq ft per duck in their run.
I have more tgan that in the run and wish I had more room. So, more is always better when it comes to the run space.

I do know I will have to keep an eye on my drake, though once his mating instincts kick in. I don't want him abusing my hens. I'm already having trouble with my roos right now.

I've always read 4 sq ft per duck in their house and 10 sq ft per duck in their run.
I have more tgan that in the run and wish I had more room. So, more is always better when it comes to the run space.

Yes I agree. Their run was originally 150 sq ft, but it just didn't seem enough so I extended it. I also have part of a tree that snapped last year and hangs in the run. It still gets its leaves so it makes a perfect hiding and relaxing area for them. They also free range once in awhile.
Heres a pic of part of their run and their pool in the back.
20180701_193140.jpg

I don't live as far up north as you but it gets cold and snowy here and mine come out everyday. They aren't as active when there is snow on the ground or if its frigid but they still come outside.

I hope mine will enjoy the snow. Cayugas do come frome NY so I figured it wouldn't bother them to much here.

Back
Top Bottom