How much starter feed will they eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by barred2rock, Mar 6, 2017.

1. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have ten Barred Rocks chicks coming sometime this week. Approximately, how much starter feed will they eat from 0 to 18/20 weeks? Basically, should I buy starter feed by the 50 lb bag? Medicated or unmedicated? Don't worry, I already have some on hand.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Buy the medicated 50# bag and when it runs out than you can make your next choice. Don't worry that you will have too much and will have to get rid of it somehow. You can feed starter feed to them for the rest of their life. There are some drawbacks to it. If your chickens are laying than starter feed is insufficient in calcium. Layer feed is ideally formulated for laying hens, but is not ideal for non layers and roosters. (4% calcium is too much for the latter). Alflock is an all around good feed that is at about 2% calcium. Your layers need some supplemental calcium, so offer them Cracked oyster shells free choice. That also provides grit as well. I personally use Alflock for that reason. I have mixed layers and non layers with some Senior Citizen Hens as well. I also like the pellets rather than the crumbles. (for adult birds) Less waste.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    [​IMG] 3 bags according to the Purina transport box mine came home in.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would also buy it one bag at a time. Feed has a 6 week life from mill date before the feed starts to go rancid and the important nutrients start to degrade. Your choice on medicated or unmedicated feed.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

Ditto. I took the question to be whether to get the 25 or 50# bag because the poster hasn't seen the way growing peeps eat yet.

6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Or the way they throw it everywhere and waste half of it by scratching it under the bedding and pooping on it.

7. christwodog

christwodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2017
    I started with 25# non medicated for 6 chicks. They waste quite a bit as they get bigger! Good luck! Barred rocks are great!

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Fermenting that feed will prevent any of it from being wasted, as well as giving the birds a healthier gut, and better feed conversion rate.

2 people like this.
  9. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    That's what I do.

In the past, my chicks have enthusiastically gobbled it up.

My current batch of chicks turn up their noses at it for some reason. I'm not sure why.

10. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

My six chix ate exactly one 50# bag by the time they were 18 weeks or point of lay. I fermented it. No waste:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by