how much temp variation inside egg is acceptable?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by patandchickens, Apr 6, 2009.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry, can't figure out how to search for this without having to slog through a million irrelevant posts/threads...

...I can't find water wigglers in canada so have thermometer probe in a water-balloon-filled plastic easter egg (realistic size). Am trying to stabilize stupid expletive-deleted really-expletive-annoying homemade incubator, and I need to know how good is good; how much 'swing' in internal egg temperature is acceptable for reasonable chance at good hatch?

Thanks muchly,

Pat

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I don't know how much is considered acceptable, but looking back on the records I kept from my first hatch (using a blown out egg filled with hair jell as a water wiggler) my temps were between 98.6 and 101.3. I had a descent hatch.

Are you using a wafer thermostat? I have found mine to be rather steady. My DH wouldn't let me use a water heater thermostat. Now I am glad.

3. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you! That is the sort of information I was looking for.

I seem to be able to hold it to about a 1 F swing in the 'egg'-interior thermometer, so hopefully that's adequate then.

I did end up with a wafer thermostat, never did find somewhere around here that sells w/h thermostats that go down to 90. I sort of feel like I have betrayed my cheap and scrounging-oriented ideals, but, oh well [​IMG] It does seem to cycle on and off a lot, but maybe that is b/c I am using a 40w bulb and basement is rather cool and the incubator not excessively insulated.

Just have to finish the manual turner and install it, and something to get the humidity up, and then re-stabilize it, and am hoping to put eggs in Thursday (I want this to synchronize with some chicks I've ordered for May 1... that is, if I can get anything to hatch at all).

Appreciate the help,

Pat

4. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    By the way, I love your ventilation page!!

5. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I love your incubator page, so there [​IMG] It was one of my main resources when building this one.

(Although needless to say, if mine sucks and won't hatch eggs, it is not your fault LOL)

Pat

6. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    [​IMG]

Edited to add:

You ARE going to enter yours in the new bator contest.....Right?!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  7. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Only if something hatches from it. Otherwise it's not really an incubator so much as a humming glowing end table [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by