How much time?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmercharlie, Jan 20, 2010.

1. farmercharlie

farmercharlie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Central Illinois
    How much time is required to watch day old chicks in a brooder? Do you constantly watch the chicks the first few days or do you look in every few hours?

I want to locate a brooder in the chicken house but I could put the brooder in the back porch if a lot of time is required to "babysit".

Charlie

2. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I liked "babysitting"![​IMG] Thought is was soo much fun to watch them! I kept mine in a little rubbermaid storage tub in my sunroom. This way I could peek in on them and not have to go out in the cold. Plus you can see if they are warm enough at all time. Have FUN![​IMG] Blessings,Keri

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I checked on mine probably ten, maybe twenty times a day for the first week. Less often after that. They were in an outbuilding at the time. DH set me up a block below the window of the shed so I could check on then thru the window and not be opening the door and letting in cold air each time.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Oh, Charlie, Charlie.... "Required" babysitting time is probably every 3 hours or so. "Desired" time is about the same number of occasions, only the length of each session is about 90 minutes. [​IMG]

How can you NOT watch them??? [​IMG]

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Mine are right here in my office. In fact, they are staring at me. Creepy. [​IMG]

6. FollowingMyNose

FollowingMyNose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Paulding County Georgia
    Quote:I just looked at your website and if your office is as nice and neat as your garden, coop, etc. then can I assume that keeping the chicks in your office doesn't create a mess? (I'm a newbie so I get to ask stupid questions and stalk people, right?) [​IMG]

7. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Charlie.."Hence the word Mother Hen"!!! Now you know what your in for! Congrats on becoming a first time paranoid Mama![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by