How much to build this?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Shuttergirl, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Shuttergirl

Shuttergirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2017
    Ok, I am not a builder by any means. Just eyeballing this coop, though. It looks pretty simple. The building plans are $29.99 and are supposed to be tailored to "dummies" like me, i.e., no technical terms and such. I will go price everything if I buy the plans, but for you experienced builders, how much do you suppose it would cost to build this coop? I think the biggest chunk would go to hardware cloth. The site is here. http://www.thegardencoop.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    just at a quick glance for 2x4 is 11 bucks each in my area 13 bucks each for plywood as a guesstimation for lumber is 560 for the hardware cloth 2 rolls about 90 and for roofing about 100.... that's without purchasing windows or whatever accessories and hardware you would need

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    If you have a Lowes or Depot near you, use your material list to build a shopping cart online. Hillaire says a 2x4 is $11, but a 2x4x8 for me is only $3.06 at the moment. By putting your zip code in for a specific store, you'll get accurate pricing.

You can also take a material list to the commercial desk at one of those big stores and they can give you a quote, have all the product pulled, and then delivered too if you paid that fee.

4. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    *** disregard that price for 2x4x8 lol my browser was set for nyc pricing ***** so that price goes down by at least 100$ lol.....

5. Shuttergirl

Apr 1, 2017
    I can't get a materials list until I buy the plan, but yeah, my 2x4s are only $3.06, too. Hillaire, I was really wondering where you were, lol! I could pretty much guess by looking at the lumber and hardware cloth, but I have no clue what screws, hinges, nails, etc., might be in there and would run.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd add at least $50-75 for hardware.

7. Shuttergirl

Apr 1, 2017
    The company actually sells a "hardware kit" for $169! I was like how in the world could the hardware be so much? I could even accept $90-100, but wow.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Is that including the hardware cloth? That'll be $30-$40 a roll, at least 3, 25ft rolls from the looks of it. Door hinges around $4, small door $3, latches $3-$8, $2 ea on door handles.

1 person likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hardware is expensive and it adds up fast.....wonder if that $169 includes postage by weight?
    They are doing all the shopping for you and packaging the stuff.

They do have some specialty brackets in there,
    that make things easier for a novice builder,
    plus they are taking some profit.

Have you done any searching here on the garden coop?
    Try reading some of these threads, might get some tips:
    advanced search>titles only> the garden coop

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You also need to take into consideration your proximity to salt water. I'm less than a mile from the beach so all wood needs to be pressure treated and hardware needs to be galvanized or stainless steel. These things add a lot more to the overall cost.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by